Saturday 15 June 2013

Oscarsaurus

Some may say i'm getting a little ahead of myself, but halloween is only 4 months away and my little man (who STILL hasn't made an appearance and is 3 days late) is gonna need an awesome costume, and I can imagine I'm not going to get a lot of sewing done in the early days so I thought this would be fun to do!
I love dinosaurs and since seeing an awesome tutorial for making a dinosaur hoody on pinterest I knew I had to try it! So when I was in town the other day and popped into peacocks and this was in the sale i knew it was a sign!
Mike wasn't too hot on the neon green haha.

So I got some red fleece fabric and cut out some diamonds for the spikes using a template so they're the same size
Next your gonna sew them down the onsie through the centre
Then pull the 2 triangles together and sew around the edges
I made them all the same size, but you could have different sizes, big, small, different colours, anything you want! Making the spikes this way avoids cutting down the back of the top (which I've seen in some tutorials) and also makes the spikes stick up and not flop over.
Sew on as many spikes as you want down the back, and on the hood too! 
Now for the tail.

I used the tutorial from this fantastic blog
http://www.running-w-scissors.com/2011/03/dinosaur-tails.html
I halved all the measurements and it was the perfect size for the onesie I used (3-6 months) I left off the straps as I was attaching it to the onesie.
I decided to make the tail removable as I wasn't sure how well it would go through the wash. I also thought it was a good idea as its quite a chunky tail and would get in the way if he were to sleep in it.
I used poppers, you could also use velcro or just sew it on.
Next was the front which is pretty self explanatory, I made a template to ensure both sides were the same size.

And here it is finished! Now all I need is the lil guy to put in it!

Oh, and no outfit is complete without matching booties now is it?




No comments:

Post a Comment