Sunday 2 June 2013

All about bums

So as I mentioned before since being on maternity leave I've become a little sew-happy! So I thought i'd share some of the things i've been making and where to find the patterns / tutorial in case you feel inspired!
As we've decided to use cloth nappies a lot of the things I've made revolve around the booty as a lot of it is pretty expensive! Of course we will save loads in the long run, not to mention doing our bit for the planet but as I was in desperate need of a hobby, it just went hand in hand!!
So Fleece nappy covers were my first goal as I had a lot of fleece knocking around and they just look so much more comfy than plastic pants!
I found a pattern on pinterest (my new bible) if fact, theres loads of patterns for these and awesome tutorials, and they're all pretty much the same, but I love this one -

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.co.uk/

And this is what I ended up with!!


I've made a few different sizes to try on our little man but didn't want to go too mad before I could test them out just in case they needed a bit of adjusting! 
The batman ones are newborn size and I have a horrible suspicion he's going to be too big to ever wear them :( 

I wanted to make the actual nappies as well for a long time but there is a million and 1 different tutorials for them and every time i tried to pick one I ended up with a headache.

http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/online-free-downloads.html

This is a fantastic site for patterns so I just took the plunge and went for 1 of them that was a little different from the rest.
I decided on the 'sized fold-ins' because every things built in but still easy to dry, i think they're also known as butterfly nappies or something as they have butterfly type wings. 
So I made a couple, again not wanting to waste material if they need adjusting or just don't work!!




The white one is a small and the blue xs (again, i hope we get to use it :( )
There was no tutorial so I just had a good look at a similar nappy I had already bought, traced the pattern twice on to a terry towel, sewed them together and put the elastic where it indicated on the pattern. Poppers applied and voila! I used swimming elastic as recommended on many other tutorials as its stronger, this was only a few pounds on ebay.


Next up was a nice easy one. Cloth wipes!! If your going to use cloth nappies, it seems silly not to use cloth wipes too, just chuck them in with the dirty nappies, easy.
I didn't really bother with a pattern for these they were so easy, i just picked a size (7 inches) cut up some terry towel and flannel blankets and sewed them together!
I also made some 5 inch ones i thought would be good just for cleaning pee's or out and about.


Here are the wipes as well as some burp cloths and peepee teepee's all made in a similar way with flannel and terry towel.
I'd never heard of a peepee teepee until I stumbled upon then on ebay but they make a lot of sense and were a great way to use up scraps left over from the wipes!!

I'm going to make some wipe solution soon too as well as my own baby wash, shampoo and talc as i don't believe babies need the masses of chemicals they put in the ones they sell.
Ive found some excellent recipes on pinterest so I will keep you posted with those too!!

So thats my 'all about bums' crafts so far! If you fancy having a go yourself and need some help, feel free to give me a shout!!

No comments:

Post a Comment