Thursday 18 July 2013

Hospital bag

So we're coming up for a month since our little man arrived, the midwife discharged me this morning and it made me really sad!! Not only did we get on really well and she was a fantastic midwife, but she brought my son into the world, thats a big thing! If I could go through the birth again I really would, i know that sounds crazy but it was the most exciting time of my life, Id waited 41 long weeks for it and now its just a distant memory and it makes me sad!
Anyway I don't want to forget any of it so I thought id post about the little details to, such as what you should pack in a hospital bag, so here goes!

For you -
1. Nighties. I'd pack at least 3. I probably only say that as I was in the hospital 3 nights but I only packed 1 and wore 1 so had to rely on someone to wash and bring them back. I went through about two nighties a day due to blood, baby fluids or cos i was so sweaty from the boiling hospital room! I bought mine during my pregnancy to wear to bed when my pyjamas got too uncomfortable so buy them early on to get plenty of use out of them. Also, if you plan to breastfeed make sure you've got ones that have buttons either part or the whole way down. I got cheap ones from primark, they had the good old granny style ones with about 4 buttons down the front, just enough to get a boob out of! Or a little more stylish long shirt type with buttons up the whole way, these were more expensive but easier to feed with and also great for skin to skin.

2. Pants. Take lots of loose comfy cheap pants, don't bother with the expensive maternity ones, primark high rise a size or two bigger will do fine, again buy during your pregnancy when your normal pants are uncomfortable. I think I paid £3 for 5 pairs and bought 2 lots.
I did buy disposable pants but they were too small but may be a good idea if they fit!

3. Slippers. They don't like you walking round bare foot in the hospital and you don't want to put your shoes on just for a trip to the bathroom so slippers are a must. I bought a pair of flip flop style ones so they didn't take up a lot of room in my bag. Also easy to slip on and off during that first 'whole body is aching' day.

4. A light dressing gown. Not essential as hospitals are roasting but I was glad i took one especially as one of my nighties was on the short side!

5. Maternity pads. I took a pack of 10, they were gone in the first day. Take lots.

6. Breastfeeding bras & breast pads  (if breastfeeding). Depending on how long your in and when your milk comes in. Nothing worse than milk leaking all over your bed!!

7 Toiletries.
Pack a little toiletry bag with toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, deodorant and a flannel, I've never enjoyed baths, but those few at the hospital were heaven. They will make you feel human again! I also put in nipple cream, a nice natural one by earth angel mama baby which worked wonders in those first few breastfeeding days. I also had a perineal cooling spray again by earth angel mama baby, this is for you bits if you tear / are cut to help heal and make less uncomfortable. Brilliant stuff!

For baby
1. Vests. Pack newborn and 0-3 size. My little man barely fit newborn stuff and thats all I packed so I had to send Mike to get bigger stuff. Also, if your sentimental like me pack a nice vest for his first outfit so you can keep it after or make a shadow box (see my shadow box post!) Pack as many as you can fit in.

2. Babygrow. Same as vests, pack both sizes and as many as you can. If its summer pack light ones, winter, warmer ones. Also look for ones with built in mits, the pairs you can buy don't stay on well.

3.  Mits, socks and hats. Few of each.

4. Nappies. We planned to use cloth nappies but that would be too much hassle at the hospital so I packed some 'Naty' environment friendly ones. Problem was they didn't fit with his belly button stump so we ended up having to ask the hospital for some pampers. So grab a few packs of ones you know will fit. The more the merrier, they go through a lot!

I didn't bother with lotions and potions for babies, all you need for nappy changes is water and cotton wool. I wouldn't bother with oils and baby wash, they don't need it so young.

That was the bulk, I also took a few high energy snacks, a book, magazines & headphones. To be honest a magazine would have done fine, I didn't touch half of it. If I wasn't busy with baby or replying to congratulations messages I was sleeping. Don't take loads of rubbish, you won't use it. Its surprising how fast time goes with a newborn! A phone charger is a must though!

So thats your hospital bag. Its really important to pack one. You may think, ill get everything together when I go into labour to kill time before I can go to the hospital but remember things don't always go as planned. I had a home birth so didn't expect to need it. But as we were rushed to hospital straight away, having it there ready to go was crucial!




No comments:

Post a Comment